Saturday, 15 February 2014

White Chocolate Baileys Ganche Cupcakes



It looks like I've just thrown all the most wonderful food words together, in one title, but this recipe is for real.Want something that looks wonderful and tastes even better? Keep reading...


These were a cheeky little experiment for (you guessed it!) a family meal. After Christmas, and accidentally (I swear) stocking up on waayy too much white chocolate for my Christmas specialty White Chocolate Fudge I thought I'd make a cake with some sort of white chocolate frosting. Then I thought 'but cupcakes are so much cuter!' and they lessen the chances of extra delicious cake lying around that is just waiting to be eaten (it is New Year(ish) after all)...Plus, I wanted an excuse to use those darling cupcake liners. *So artisinal*. I then got to thinking what icing I could make for these little cakes. A normal ganache buttercream? No, White chocolate frosting? Nah. BAILEYS ganache buttercream. Hells yes.




The recipie for the cakes is my standard chocolate cake one that is tried and tested, and ALWAYS come out perfect. It's great for use with cakes, or in smaller quantities with muffins or cupcakes as here. It stays moist and fresh for days and is honestly one of, if not the best recipe I've ever used. What's more, it's so so simple to remember, just mix equal quantities of everything. Refer to my recipe on the Wedding Cake post section, and I think I used a 3 or 4 egg quantity of that mixture (it'll make sense if you read the description there) for around 10 or 12 very large cupcakes.





The star of the show, the icing, is relatively simple. Make the ganache as you would normally, except with Baileys instead of cream, then whip, whip, whip, adding icing sugar and a little butter or margarine as you go to help it set up into a lovely creamy, light pipeable icing. It tastes seriously great. I imagine this would work well with a lot of cakes, so go wild with experimenting! I finished my cupcakes with a sprinkling of grated milk chocolate, but that was just for show, really. Swirl this icing between layer cakes, or pile it high on muffins, cupcakes, and even brownies (now that would be seriously epic), whatever you use it for, it's only gong to make your dessert taste better.




White Chocolate Baileys Ganache Cupcakes

1 batch chocolate or plain cupcakes

200ml Baileys
400g White Chocolate
Butter, slightly softened
Icing sugar, sifted

1. Heat the Baileys gently in a saucepan over a low heat until hot, but not boiling. Chop chocolate into small pieces.
2. Remove liquid from heat, stir in chocolate and mix until melted and smooth.
3. Begin whipping mixture with an electric or stand mixture until slightly cooled. Add icing sugar, a few spoonfuls at a time until the icing begins to thicken. Continue to beat as you add in more icing sugar, alternating with spoonfuls of butter. Measurements are very hard to give here, but I'd say you'd want to add anything from about 100-150g of butter, and 300-500g icing sugar, but you'll have to feel it out. Basically, you're looking for something that isn't too too stiff, and that will be either pipeable or spreadable, but that will hold its shape well. If you're in a bit of a rush and having problems with the icing being too runny, like I did initially, stick the bowl of icing in the fridge for about 20 minutes to help the butter and chocolate cool. Be careful though, too long in the fridge and your icing may set solid. The finished icing should be very light and fluffy.
4. Spread or pipe icing on cupcakes or use to sandwich
a sponge.

Leftovers can be kept in the fridge for a few weeks, but should be re-whipped and possibly thinned down with the tiniest bit of milk before using again.


No comments:

Post a Comment