Saturday, 7 September 2013

Banoffee Puddings



Remember that leftover toffee sauce from the banoffee pie I made a few weeks ago? I knew I couldn't throw it away. It was just too damn tasty. So I made these (at the time, I stress, this post is being written much later). The idea started off that I was going to make sticky toffee puddings. This was fine, until I opened the cupboard to find but a single, solitary date in the packet that I thought was full. That just won't do.




So I panicked (the puddings were meant to be a dessert for a family meal), and decided to wing it. I used the same sponge recipe, but instead of using dates, I put sliced bananas at the bottom of each pudding dish. I covered these banana coins with a spoon of caramel and the sponge mixture. They worked out great. The bananas sweetened during baking and the caramel soaked into the sponge as it cooked. These little puddings were great and it was so nice to have single serve desserts that turned out really neatly.


These are delicious, but are also very sweet, so I'd recommend serving them with either cream or ice cream...



Banoffee Puddings
Makes 5

175g self raising flour
1/2tsp bicarbonate of soda
175g castor sugar
2 eggs
85g butter, softened
200ml milk

2 bananas, plus extra for serving
5tbsp caramel sauce, plus extra for serving
cream/ice cream

1. Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 4. Grease 5 single serve pudding basins/ramekins. Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy then beat in the eggs, flour and bicarb slowly and gently. Incorporate the milk slowly until you have a runny batter.
 2. Slice the bananas into 1cm coins and divide between the pudding basins (you could also do this as one large pudding if you wanted), place a tablespoon of caramel sauce on top of the bananas.
3. Divide the cake batter among the basins. Level off and place basins on a baking tray. Bake for about 30 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the centre comes out clean. Serve with extra caramel sauce, extra sliced bananas, and ice cream/cream.



No comments:

Post a Comment